An R-404A and R-22 Replacement Offering Superior Cooling for Diverse Refrigeration Systems
Opteon™ XL40 (R-454A) is a non-ozone depleting refrigerant providing an optimal balance of properties in applications that use R-404A and R-22.
Opteon™ XL40 refrigerant is an A2L low global warming potential (GWP) hydrofluoroolefin (HFO) based refrigerant that enables much larger charge sizes than other, more highly flammable refrigerants like propane (R-290) or isobutane (R-600).
The larger size of the refrigerant charge supports cooling system designs that reconcile sustainability with performance to offer improved capacity and efficiency. Following applicable safety codes and standards ensures that Opteon™ XL refrigerants is safely used in new low- and medium-temperature commercial/industrial refrigeration designed for R-404A. Applications include:
- Supermarket systems (e.g., distributed systems, walk-in coolers/freezers, and food prep rooms)
- Condensing units used in food service
- Cold storage systems
- Self-contained systems
Features and Benefits
Opteon™ XL40 offers improved energy performance and higher cooling capacities, making it easier and more cost-effective to install in new equipment without making major modifications. This refrigerant allows for larger refrigerant charges compared to highly flammable ASHRAE A3 classified refrigerants (check local regulations and standards). Benefits include:
- A low GWP of 238 (94% reduction vs. R-404A)
- Zero ozone depletion potential
- Improved capacity and efficiency compared to R-404A
- Close match to R-404A—easy convertibility from the current design with minimal changes
- Miscibility with polyolester (POE) lubricants; can be topped off after leaks
- Classification as mildly flammable (ISO/ASHRAE Class 2L)
Contact us for additional information about Opteon™ XL40.